The skin is the largest organ of our bodies and has many functions for example, it protects us by providing a physical barrier to keep contaminants out of our bodies yet at the same time it keeps the in’s in the body…put down in other words. The skin also represents us among other things; for example a dull looking skin gives an impression that we are tired or ill. We all want to have glowing, beautiful, healthy and young looking skin. This is why it’s very important to take good care of the skin, and having a good skin care regimen would help maintain a beautiful looking skin.
Here are the best ways to care for your skin daily;
#1 Know your skin type:
Its very important to know your skin type, you wouldn’t believe the number of people I have come across who don’t actually know their skin type, this leads to using the wrong products for their skin and hence not getting the results their looking for.
There are mainly four skin types:
- Dry skin- skin appears pale, lacking shine, pink patches with occasional dry, flaky, scaly areas indicating lack of moisture.
- Oily skin- shiny with large open pores,may seem to have slightly thicker texture than normal skin. Prone to blemishes, spots,pimples and blackheads.
- Combination skin-Appears oily along the ‘T-zone’ (area across the the forehead,down the nose &chin) while the areas around the cheeks are susceptible to dry patches.
- Sensitive skin-Skin appears thin with a fine texture, reddens easily. Reacts rapidly with any slight change in temperature. Prone to patchy redness and rashes with dry, flaky areas.
- Normal skin- This is the best skin type however it isn’t the ‘norm’ its mainly seen in younger children and babies and very few lucky adults! Normal skin type appears healthy with smooth, even skin tone. It is free from imperfections. Looks hydrated with a soft finish and silky feel.
# 2 Cleansing:
Cleansing your face is very important as it removes debris, oils and make up. You should aim to cleanse your face with a cleanser at least once a day preferably in the evenings.
Dry Skin- Use a mild cleanser that is alcohol and fragrance free as these ingredients can dry your face even more. Gently wash your skin with warm water. Remember hot water will remove your skin’s natural oils much fast. To help your skin look clearer and more even exfoliate once a week to remove flaky skin cells.
Oily skin- Use an oil free foaming cleanser and rinse off with plenty warm water.
# 3 Use a Toner:
If you have oily skin its recommended to use a toner or astringent. Toners usually smooth, soften and calm skin ( remember cleansing and exfoliating opens up skin pores, toners calm your skin and close your pores).Toners also help remove impurity and last traces of make up.
#4 Moisturize :
Moisturizing your skin is important even if you have oily skin. Use moisturizers according to your skin type. Moisturizers help hydrate your skin and keep it supple and keep it from drying out. If its morning and your going out you should wear a sunscreen to protect you from the sun’s UV.
If you don’t already follow a skin care routine, this should be an easy way to get started. I hope you enjoyed reading this post, please leave me a comment and don’t forget to share with your friends!